Registered and listed sites
The water tower, demanded by the President of the Council Georges Clemenceau, dates back to 1914 and was classified as a historic monument in 1992 for several reasons:
- its architecture, by a Luçonnais Bardin, of great originality for a simple tank (intended to supply water to the future Dragons regiment in the Hoche district).
- the technique of reinforced concrete, gives an element of lightness and monumentality, which is what the mayor of the time wanted.
- this castle gave the city a modern look. Indeed, with the arrival of the water tower, the city entered the closed circle of cities equipped with running water and electricity thanks to the electric factory installed at its feet.
The building is 25 metres high and is divided into 9 compartments that can accommodate 500 m³.
Architecturally: the building is enriched with cornices, arches and other decorative elements (cast iron lions with wide mouths open, formerly on an orange lamp).
Inaugurated in 1914, it marks the advent of modernism in Luçon. Built in reinforced concrete, decorated with ceramic casts in a late Art Nouveau style. The reservoir provided drinking water for the military, but also for the entire population and an electricity production plant was associated with it.
Its construction is linked to the arrival of the cavalry regiment in the place of the former seminary. For this reinforced concrete project, Jean Bardin collaborated with the engineer Armand Guillemet, who held the Hennebique patent. It was built from 1912 to 1913 by René Guinaudeau and the building was completed when the Dragons Regiment arrived in April 1914. With a capacity of 500 m3, it supplied drinking water to the cavalry barracks and the inhabitants of the city centre. The water was pumped from a depth of 80m thanks to the power plant, which for a long time was powered by Faymoreau coal. In the mouths of the lions on the facade, light bulbs revealed the presence of electricity. The dome was to be crowned with a lighthouse commemorating the port past of Luçon, it was never completed and replaced by the skylight still present at the top. Another originality is the room at the foot of the tank with offices, guard and store.
- Groups accepted
- Types : historic site and monument
Prices / opening times
Open all year round