Registered and listed sites
The church was destrouyed many times, especially during the Revolution after which it was rebuilt to be used bu the towns Saint-Hermine and Saint-Hermand (now, reunited as one town, Sainte-Hermine).
In 1832, this church was almost destroyed because of its poor condition and repairs costing too much. However the decision was to still repair even though the cost was going to be even more expensive by the end of it. The new church in a Greek style has 3 naves and is 35.5m long and 19.5m large. The tower bell was supposed to be rebuilt at the same place as before, over the Saint Joseph altar. Upon request of the town council, the bell tower was moved to the facade, facing the street. Les repairs only started in 1844 under M. Raffin, Sigournais entrepeneur and according to M. Leveque's plans, architect from Fontenay-le-Compte. To save some money, they used with parsimony cut stone and iron. As well, in 1875, 30 years after the complete reconstruction, the church was about to become ruines again and needed buttresses to support the choir.
In 1877, 3 melted belles from le Mans were installed.
The main altar is made of white marble, and was consecrated in 1885. It has eight columns, framing niches that contain the statues of Saint Hermes, Saint Catherine, Saint Paul, Our Lady of the Sceptre, Saint Peter, Saint Theodora Hermina and Saint Symphorien. Four monumental statues of the evangelists stand in the choir. On either side of the latter, two medallions represent on a blue background the inverted sword of Saint Paul (epistle side) and the keys of Saint Peter and the inverted cross (gospel side).
The Sainte table in wrought iron was made by M. Cailleton, blacksmith of La Gaubretière, and dates from 1838.
The stained glass windows in the side chapels date back to 1868 and come from Tours, from the master glassmaker L. Lobin. Those on the side naves date back to 1885 and come from Toulouse, from the master glassmaker Mr. Gesta. The transept windows were installed a year later.
In a chapel at the back of the side aisle, Mr. Piberne had a Pieta built in honour of the 61 children of Sainte-Hermine who died during the First World War.
The bell tower, which tilts steeply over the nave and has an irregularly constructed spire, was washed away during the storm of February 1972. It was never completely rebuilt until 2014, when it was restored to its original style during the restoration work on the church. If you look closely at the bell tower, you can see the drawing in the slate of an ermine, symbol of the town.
Next to this church, an ossuary built in 1848 collects the bones of the old cemetery.
- Types : historic site and monument
Comfort / services
Open all year round