Go walking or hiking, or join an organised activity, to discover the region of South Vendée Atlantic.
Let your footsteps be your guide
Hiking is a leisure activity that enables you to explore the plant and animal world around us. With a few hours’ hiking or an expedition of several weeks, you’ll reconnect with your senses and experience a region at walking pace. Whatever your level, from the occasional walker to the seasoned hiker, we have the excursion to meet your expectations.
Walker or hiker?
Alone with your hiking guidebook, you’ll explore the paths, deciphering the markers like nobody else. Don’t hesitate to take the land consolidation paths or the rutted tracks. You’re bound to find what makes you happy in one of our hiking routes. South Vendée Atlantic features:
- Many local loops itineraries including 8 PR routes (short hikes) certified by the FFR (French hiking federation)
- Hundreds of kilometers of signposted itineraries
- 2 GR routes (great hikes), the GR8 coastal route (section between Île-d’Olonne and the Sèvre Niortaise river) which follows part of the Vélodyssée route and the GR364 (section between La Réorthe and Bourgenay) if you enjoy hikes with varying reliefs.
Prefer a walk with a story? Accompanied by a story teller, you’ll enjoy an alternative way of discovering the landscapes of South Vendée Atlantic. During the summer period, excursions are organised in our region that will delight both children and adults! And what better way to finish your hike than with a beautiful sunset over the Île de la Dive?
Are you a foodie? The old saying “rewarded for your efforts” takes on a whole new meaning when you take a gourmet walk… A few kilometres on foot, a stop-off to taste some local produce, a few more kilometres then another stop-off, and so on. Before you know it, you’ll have covered tens of kilometres without even realising it… This is a fun activity to share with family or friends!
The latest to join South Vendée, Baludik…
Having made a gentle début at our Destination, the Baludik app will gradually be expanded with new walks. Cultural walks, paper chases and treasure hunts… Have fun on an amusing, connected excursion.
Discover the territory differently with our walks in English:
- In Chaillé-les-Marais, slip into the skin of the owner of the place and “Become the Master of the Dykes!“,
- In Luçon, meet “The crazy ghost of Luçon’s barber“,
- In Sainte-Hermine help Jacob find “The fantastic beasts of Sainte-Hermine“,
- In l’Aiguillon-sur-Mer help “Moulinette the Bouchot Mussel goes on an adventure“
- In Saint-Michel-en-l’Herm “Looking for the missing bell…“.
It’s like a treasure hunt, the aim is to find clues to get to the next stage. Your phone vibrates when you approach your goal. Then all you have to do is look up, look around and read the contents. Clémence, our Baludik test walker
Why not try GEOCACHING?
You could think of geocaching as a modern-day treasure hunt. Equipped with your smartphone or GPS, you follow the clues to find geolocated caches. Inside you’ll find some small objects. The idea is to add something in turn. Or you may just find a sheet of paper to which you must add a trace of your visit.
This fun outdoor activity is a great way to get your children walking. An eco-friendly hunt for clues and secret caches. With the family, among friends or on your own, geocaching is a way of discovering wildlife and heritage, and there’s a reward at stake!
We suggest you go in search of our 70 caches hidden on several different circuits, for an exploratory change of scene in South Vendée Atlantic. Come to the Tourist Information desks for further details, or just to rent a GPS.
Looking for a different kind of treasure? We recommend you complete your knowledge of our region with the Geocaching® app which adds a new perspective to your walks.