The diocese headquarters since 1317, the cathedral of Luçon has a much older history. It is around the year 675 that a priory dependent on the abbey of Saint-Philbert de Noirmoutier is mentioned. If religious life was disrupted by the Norman invasions, it was around the year 1000 and then the 12th century that Luçon began to find its stability. It was in 1040 that the priory of Luçon was elevated to the rank of abbey. Restored following the ravages of the Hundred Years' War and the Wars of Religion, Luçon Cathedral has an astonishing classical facade designed by the Poitou architect François Leduc at the dawn of the 18th century. Already built by François Leduc, the Gothic arrow was rebuilt in the 19th century, it is 85m high. From the Romanesque period, the left transept remains, visible to all, but also many sculpted elements hidden in the attic. The cathedral was profoundly transformed in the 14th and 15th centuries from its 12th century foundation. Like the cathedral, the 16th century cloister is open to visitors. Among the furniture are the painted wooden pulpit of Bishop Pierre Nivelle (17th century), the 18th century choir, the Cavaillé-Coll/Schwenkedel organ, the buffet that was designed by Émile Boeswillwald, one of the main religious architects of the 19th century. In the right transept, the public can admire a Descent of the Cross painted by the 17th century French master, Lubin Baugin. More recently, the furniture of the celebration choir has been entrusted to the goldsmith and contemporary artist Guji.
- Groups accepted
- Types : historic site and monument
- Temporary exhibitions
- Information board languages : French
Comfort / services
Prices / opening times
Open all year round