CROIX DES 3 FONTAINES

1

Wrought iron cross in memory of the 5,000 victims of the 3rd Battle of Luçon in 1793.

Description

In 1793, Luçon, the provisional capital of the Vendée, was held by Republican troops. On 22 June, 30 July and 14 August, Royalist troops attempted to take the town.
On 14 August, the 40,000-strong Vendée army crossed the Mainclaye bridge. Opposite, General Tuncq, commander of the Luçon garrison, deployed his 6,000 men on the outskirts of the town, in front of the Corpe plain and the Sainte Gemme forest.
After the victory of the Vendée left wing, General Tuncq took advantage of the lack of coordination of the enemy command and, with a heavy artillery fire, created havoc in the enemy lines. The hussars' cavalry created panic and the plain of Corpe was littered with corpses.

  • Groups accepted
  • Types : historic site and monument

Visit

  • Information board languages : French

Individual

Groups

Prices / opening times

Free

Opening

Open all year round