Neoclassical church dating from 1899. The old church was deemed too small and dilapidated and was demolished. Worth seeing is the polychrome marble altar, a listed monument, from the abbey's former church.


The old church was demolished in 1897 and work began on the new building that same year. The first mass was celebrated on 19 March 1899 and the new neo-Gothic church was consecrated by Mgr Catteau, Bishop of Luçon, on 23 August 1899.
The current church has 3 naves.
The polychrome marble high altar comes from the former abbey. A cherub's head can be seen in the four corners of the altar. The medallion in the centre features Saint Michael overcoming the devil on one side and Saint Michael holding a pair of scales on the other. In 1791, the altar was given to the church after the suppression of the religious congregations. It is thought to be the work of François Le Duc, known as "Toscane", who directed the reconstruction and repair work at the Abbey at the end of the 17th century. The altar was listed as a historic monument in 1965 and restored in 1993.
The façade features a statue of Saint Michael slaying the dragon.

  • Types : historic site and monument

Prices / opening times



Open all year round