ÉGLISE DE DISSAIS – MUSÉE DES 3 BATAILLES
Registered and listed sites
Eglise de Dissais - Three Battles site
This Romanesque church was built in the XIᵉ and XIIᵉ centuries. It houses the family vault of Lord Sabourin (dated 1705). Restored after the Wars of Religion in the 15ᵉ, its bell tower was raised in the 17ᵉ century. The church was sold as national property in 1798 to the widow of the Lord of Dissais.
Church of longitudinal plan; flat chevet. The semi-circular portal on the façade is surmounted by a large oculus. The corner buttresses of the façade are covered by a gable roof. The square bell tower is located on the south side of the façade. It has no spire.
It is now owned by the commune.
Since 1993, it has housed the Trois Batailles memorial. The permanent exhibition explains the tragic events of the three battles that took place on 28 June, 30 July and 14 August 1793, during the Vendée Wars. The Vendéens attempted to storm the town of Luçon, leaving 7,500 dead.
- Types : historic site and monument
Prices / opening times